Unit I A - Introduction: Safety, Matter, and Math
Download DPI reference sheets (there are 8). Download 2004 Chemistry reference tables at: http://community.learnnc.org/dpi/science/. Place into reference section. Write your name on them.
- Safety, Measurements, Conversions
- Demos: (1) Eye in Acid and Base, (2) Bromothymol blue (3) H2O2 + MnO2 (4) phenolphthalein (5)Double R Silver Nitrate + KI (6) gummy bear+ KClO3
- Videos: Accident at Jefferson High and Measurements
- Labs: What is this Stuff? Lab, Matter Activity, Candle Lab, Density Lab, Metric Inquiry Lab
- Book Assignment 1:
Read from Modern Chemistry textbook pp. 5-24,
briefly outline Ch. 1 into your spiral notebook,
include diagram on p.15. Do
the problems about matter on p. 26 #13, 19-24, Chapter
- Book assignment 2 -
- Brief outline of Ch.2 pp.29-41 [define all bold face terms], into your spiral notebook, make the entries into your Spiral Notebook Table of Contents (remember to number the pages - just number the front of the pages)
- when you have time for more practice work on Set 1: Problems on p. 59, #7-13 Answers
to Chapter 2
- In your
spiral notebook, make the entries into your Spiral
Notebook in theTable of Contents (remember to
number the pages - just number the front
of the pages).
- Make your own personal reference pages on separate notebook paper for your reference section of your 3 ring binder:
from p. 34 Table 2-1, copy the first 4 columns but not the defined
standards - just l, m, t, T, n.
- (2) Table 2-2 SI Prefixes, copy only the first 4 columns for just k, d, c, m, u, n, p. 35
- (3) Table 2-3 p. 36
- Book assignment 3 - Math:
- In Spiral lecture notebook define vocabulary words on p.25, 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 Finish outlining Ch. 2.
- Do sample problems on p.47 2-4, p. 50 2-5, p. 54 2-6
- Set 1: Problems on p. 59, #7-13.Metric definetions
- Set 2: Problems on p. 59, #21 & 41-43 Scientific Notation and Rounding.
- Set 3: Problems on p. 59, #36-40 Significant Figures
- Set 4: Problems on p. 59, #30-32 conversions
- Set 5: Review Problems on p. 42
- Set 6: Review Problems on p. 57
to Chapter 2
for sig figs: http://www.sciencegeek.net/Chemistry/taters/Unit0Sigfigs.htm
- Book assignment 4 Graphing:
- Plot graph from data on p. 56 1/V v.s. P. Pressure should be on the y axis. This should be a straight line. On the previous assignment, I will show you in class how to calculate % error and density problems.
- Worksheets: Safety, Computer Day 1, Units of Measurements packet, and Significant Figures Packet
Unit I C - Matter and Energy
Book assignment: Matter (States of Matter and interconversions) and Energy (calorimetry problems)
HW from Holt Textbook Put all these notes into your spiral lecture notebook
- Ch. 10 Read, outline and define all bold words on p. 303-306
- Ch. 12 Read,outline and define all bold words on p. 363-369 and 376-382.
- Ch. 17 Read,outline and define all bold words on p. 511-517 stop at heat of formation, do practice problems 1 & 2 on p. 514. Draw Figures 17-2, 17-3 and 17-10 on pg. 534
- Do sample problem 17-5 and problems on p. 548 #16 ans. 16 = 3.6e3J, and #26 and 27 on p. 549. Put these on a separate paper in the homework/classwork section of your 3 ring notebook.
- Ch. 17 Read,outline and define all bold words on p. 526-530.
- Ch. 17 Read,outline and define all bold words on p. 532 Collision Theory-537. Do the sample problem 17-5 p. 536 and the practice problem in your spiral notebook from p. 537.
SAS activity on Calorimetry
Video on "Matter of States" and "Driving Forces: